Thursday, December 3, 2009

Silvery nest with a frozen Charlotte


I saw a picture of this item in one of the older copies of Somerset Life. I finally got around to creating her. The round box is paper mache covered with glittered paper. The nest has been painted silver and the frozen charlotte is actually a picture I downloaded onto cardstock and adorned with vintage crepe paper for the skirt. Her wings are cardstock as well, sprinkled with German glass glitter, which by the way tarnishes.

The story of the frozen Charlotte goes back to the olden days when as the daughter of a wealthy family Charlotte was going to a New Year's Eve party in an open sleigh with her friend Charlie and would not put on a coat as to not mess up her dress much to the dismay of her Mother. As the temperature was near freezing they arrived at the party both frozen to death. She has always been one of my favorite dolls as when I was a little girl I had this type of doll to play with and she was made out of bisque porcelain. At that time they called them "penny dolls", yep, because I guess they only cost a few pennies.

Click to enlarge.

Price: $39.95

No comments: